Niklas Ajo managed to gain one point from the season´s fourth Moto3 Grand Prix but the race on wet Le Mans circuit in France wasn´t the easiest one.
17 year old Ajo had a great start from 13th place of the grid and was soon sixth with his KTM factory bike but when South African Brad Binder crashed at the first chicane he took out the Finn to the gravel.
– The guy just came and took me in front of him. Of course at that situation that annoyed me quite much but these things just happen.
A footrest and a gear lever pedal of Ajo´s bike broke but he didn´t even consider quitting because he saw that he had chances in so bad weather.
Ajo continued his battle after a paddock stop and the work paid off when he finished 15th.
Last laps without
Before crossing the wet finish line Ajo crashed again and he had to make another visit to the paddock. Even that didn´t let him down but his KTM bike really had a rough race.
– We did for the bike what we managed to do quickly and I decided to continue the race hoping that I will get to the finish. Those last laps were really mad at a mad weather. The bike wobbled and it was difficult to manage it because the steering damper was broken.
After a difficult race Ajo was satisfied to get even one point.
– And on the other hand there is no reason for ifs and buts with the event at the first lap. We just don´t know whether I haven´t crashed and stayed in the top group when the weather was like this. There was so much water and this track is known to have a really poor traction.
The surprise winner of the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France was Louis Rossi who in front of his home crowd bet overwhelmingly Spanish Alberto Moncayo by 28,899 seconds.
Finnish team Ajo Motorsport´s German rider Sandro Cortese finished sixth. He managed to extend his championship lead to 12 points.
During the race Spanish Hector Faubel and pole man Maverick Vinales and Portuguese Miguel Oliveira lead the race on their turns but in the end they all crashed. Only 15 riders out of 34 finished.
The GP-season continues on the first weekend of June in Barcelona.
MONSTER ENERGY GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE
Moto3 Race Classification:
1. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda 49.12,390
2. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 27,348
3. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 28,899
4. Niccolo Antonelli, Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 33,195
5. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 36,989
6. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 45,312
7. Jasper Iweman Netherlands, Moto FGR, FGR Honda + 58,645
8. Alan Techer France, Technomag-CIP-TSR, TSR Honda + 1.05,022
9. Ivan Moreno Spain, Andalucia JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1.09,194
10. Giulian Pedone Switzerland, Ambrogio Next Racing, Suter Honda + 1.45,751
11. Jonas Folger Germany, IodaRacing Project, Ioda + 1 lap
12. Marcel Schrötter Germany, Mahindra Racing, Mahindra + 1 lap
13. Kevin Hanus Germany, Thomas Sabo GP Team, Honda + 1 lap
14. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 2 laps
15. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 4 laps
All together 15 riders out of 34 finished.
1. Sandro Cortese Germany, KTM 67
2. Maverick Vinales Spain, FTR Honda 55
3. Luis Salom Spain, Kalex KTM 49
4. Romano Fenati Italy, FTR Honda 45
5. Alex Rins Spain, Suter Honda 44
6. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Kalex KTM 33
7. Louis Rossi France, FTR Honda 32
8. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, FTR Honda 31
9. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, KTM 29
10. Arthur Sissis Australia, KTM 23
12. Danny Kent Great Britain, KTM 16
26. Niklas Ajo Finland, KTM 4
Next GP: 3rd of June Barcelona, Spain.