Avant Tecno KTM rider takes eighth place at Japanese Grand Prix, starting from sixth row on the grid.
Adverse weather conditions went away and this morning the penultimate race of the season was able to take place in the dry. Niklas Ajo took off from seventeenth on the grid, gaining 9 places to cross the line in eighth. This was a second top ten finish in a row for the Avant Tecno KTM rider –for the first time in his career.
The young Finn started the race strong, with one of his typical fights through the field on the first lap. Niklas ended lap 1 in ninth place, overtaking eight riders. Despite not running the same pace as the lead group, the Avant Tecno KTM rider continued working hard at a difficult track for him. He was part of the third group and won out in a battle for eighth with Niccolo Antonelli.
The last round of the Moto3 World Championship season takes place in two weeks’ time in Valencia. After claiming 8 points today, Niklas Ajo is fourteenth in the overall standings with 62 points.
1. Alex Marquez (KTM) 39:45.953
2. Maverick Viñales (KTM) +0.027
3. Jonas Folger (Kalex KTM) +7.750
4. Miguel Oliveira (Mahindra) +15.889
5. Romano Fenati (FTR Honda) +18.323
8. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) +25.608
Moto3 World Championship
1. Luis Salom (KTM) 300 points
2. Maverick Viñales (KTM) 298 points
3. Alex Rins (KTM) 295 points
4. Alex Marquez (KTM) 200 points
5. Jonas Folger (Kalex KTM) 163 points
14. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) 62 points
Niklas Ajo >> Audio (English) // Audio (Finnish)
”Today’s race didn’t go badly at all, and we achieved a very good position. It’s true that we can’t be happy with the distance that the leading riders put between us, but we knew coming to Motegi that this was a difficult track for me. It doesn’t suit my riding style. The start of the race was good, and I stuck with the group. However, as the laps went by, I lost rubber from my tyres and had to take a lot of care. In the end I was fighting against Antonelli for eighth place. It was a good way to finish a strange weekend.”
*Audio solely for radio use