The Circuit of The Americas hosted a crash-filled Moto3 race this morning, in which Niklas Ajo finished in fifteenth place. A crash for Jasper Iwema forced the suspension of the race and a restart five laps in duration. The Avant Tecno KTM rider, who maintained sixth position for the majority of laps, had a last lap problem which dropped him down the order.
Before this “sprint” race, the young Finn had completed ten laps in sixth place at the head of a group of up to eight riders. After the break, Niklas Ajo went up to second on the first lap, but could not keep the same pace as his rivals. He continued in sixth place, until a rival made contact with him on one of the last corners and demoted him to fifteenth.
With this result, Niklas Ajo adds a new point to his tally in the overall standings of the Moto3 World Championship, where he holds thirteenth position. The series begins a run of six consecutive events in Europe after leaving the USA, and the first will be the Grand Prix of Spain on May 5th.
1. Alex Rins (KTM) 11:26.535
2. Maverick Viñales (KTM) +0.244
3. Luis Salom (KTM) +0.547
4. Jonas Folger (Kalex KTM) +1.230
5. Miguel Oliveira (Mahindra) +8.276
15. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) +21.094
Moto3 World Championship
1. Alex Rins (KTM) 41 points
2. Luis Salom (KTM) 41 points
3. Maverick Viñales (KTM) 40 points
4. Jonas Folger (Kalex KTM) 24 points
5. Miguel Oliveira (Mahindra) 20 points
13. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) 8 points
Niklas Ajo >> Audio (English) // Audio (Finnish)
”Both parts of the race were good, but in the second one I was taken off track by another rider and we weren’t able to finish high up. We didn’t get fifth place, but our speed and pace were good throughout the contest. The bike responded very well, so I am a little angry with how things turned out in the end —but satisfied with our work.”
*Audio solely for radio use