Niklas Ajo managed to give his best effort in due time on the Indianapolis circuit on Saturday in USA.
Morning practise left Ajo with 27th position, but he was able to squeeze 1,5 seconds off his lap giving him access to 24th place. Ajo starts the season’s 10th Moto3 GP from the eighth row.
– Difficult, very difficult again. Speaking of traction, the track still seemed quite odd. The bike’s kind of gliding all the time, said KTM riding Ajo describing his sentiment.
– I got a better feel during qualifying, but still it was a bit off. Others had similar problems, though, and we did see a few extraordinary crashes today.
Ajo was still pleased in improving his lap time.
– It gave me trust in race day. I’ll try to keep my spirit high and cross the finish line in one piece.
Finnish team Ajo Motorsport’s Championship leading German rider Sandro Cortese banked already his fifth pole position this season with a time of 1.48,545. Second place went to Englishman Danny Kent of the same team, who trailed Cortese by 83 thousands of a second.
This was already the third time this season that this duo stormed the top spots in qualifying. Previously they had occupied the first row in Dutch and German GPs.
Ajo, who has scored points on last four GP’s, trailed the lead by 1,867 seconds.
RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GRAND PRIX
Moto3 Qualifying Practice Classification 2012:
1. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM 1.48,545
2. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,083
3. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda + 0,098
4. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 0,445
5. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 0,479
6. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 0,500
7. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 0,529
8. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 0,779
9. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Andalucia JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 0,787
10. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 0,789
11. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 0,852
12. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 0,947
13. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 1,060
14. Louis Rossi Italy, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda + 1,065
15. Jonas Folger Germany, Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3, Kalex KTM + 1,111
23. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 1,867
24. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 1,898