Niklas Ajo today undertook his first laps with the new KTM Moto3 bike at Valencia. The Avant Tecno KTM rider participated in Day 1 of the Moto3 Official Test, returning to action after a winter skiing injury.
Low temperatures in Valencia and a strong wind prevented the riders from going out until 11:30am. The Finn was finally able to get onto his KTM and attempted to put in laps, but completed just five with the track still too cold.
In the second and third sessions (of 1 hour and 2 hours in duration, respectively) the Avant Tecno KTM rider regained confidence on the bike. With 13 laps in each session, Ajo concluded his day early at 4pm local time in order to conserve his leg and keep strong for the coming two days. His best lap on Day 1 was a 1’43.594.
– Today I had my first encounter with the bike, as before I had a skiing accident and injured myself. My leg is not completely recovered and it still hurts a little, so I decided to end the day early today. I don’t want to make things worse on the first day. I felt good with the bike and have a good understanding with my new team, so I’m happy with Day 1.
1. Maverick Viñales (KTM) 1:40.715
2. Luis Salom (RedBull KTM Ajo) 1:40.871 +0.156
3. Alex Rins (KTM) 1:41.304 +0.589
4. Zulfahmi Khairuddin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 1:41.788 +1.073
5. Jonas Folger (Kalex KTM) 1:42.093 +1.378
20. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) 1:43.594 +2.879