Niklas Ajo made a great start from 18th place and crossed the finish line being 14th at the season´s sixth Moto3 GP that was held at sunny Silverstone, Great Britain. 17-year-old Finn´s strong fight was awarded with two championship points and second best position of the season so far.
Ajo went eagerly with his KTM factory bike to the first curves and improved his position in the beginning of the race being at his best tenth. After the first third of the GP he was only five seconds from the top group at the longest, 5900 meters, circuit of the series. That proved that he had the right speed.
– The 17-laps´ race went really well until the mid way. It was the best of the season so far, Ajo confirmed.
Tyres started to run out
and riding lines went wide
After that Ajo was forced to give up a bit. At the same time the big group where he rode and where positions were changing all the time also split up. In the end the fastest riders of the group ended up being in top ten.
– My tyres started to run out and the bike started to slip. I was forced to ride with wider lines and they don´t suit to this track. At that stage about five riders run away from me.
Ajo had a good reason to be pleased with the over all outcome of the British GP weekend.
– I was able to improve my speed all the time and I made a steady performance as planned. I only had minor problems at Saturday morning´s free practice session when I crashed harmlessly twice. Other vice I didn´t have any other problems during these three days. The weekend was good for my self-confidence.
The winner of the British GP was a pole man, Spanish Maverick Vinales who bet his country man Luis Salom by 0,933 seconds.
Salom had a real fight over the second position with Finnish team Ajo Motorsport´s Sandro Cortese. The duo passed by each others still during the last lap until Salom managed to cross the finish line 90 thousandth of seconds before Cortese.
With his victory Vinales went to championship lead. However, Cortese is only two points away from him. Salom who is third is already 30 points from Vinales. Niklas Ajo has six points, which allow him to 23rd place.
Next GP is held at Assen circuit in Netherlands on 30th of June. Assen is known for its long traditions and the race is held already on Saturday.
Hertz British Grand Prix
Moto3 Race Classification:
1. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda 38.55,210
2. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 0,933
3. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 1,023
4. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 8,100
5. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 8,414
6. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 8,637
7. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 8,940
8. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 9,046
9. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 9,208
10. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 15,613
11. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 20,397
12. Hector Faubel Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 20,559
13. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 21,369
14. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 27,526
15. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 27,708
1. Vinales 105
2. Cortese 103
3. Salom 75
4. Fenati 61
5. Louis Rossi France, FTR Honda 45
6. Alex Rins Spain, Suter Honda 44
7. Khairuddin 44
8. Masbou 42
9. Antonelli 38
10. Moncayo 36
11. Oliveira 33
12. Sissis 31
13. Faubel 28
14. Kent 26
15. Vazquez 22
23. Ajo 6
Next GP: 30th of June Assen, Netherlands.