Niklas Ajo will leave from sixth row of the grid for Sunday´s Hertz British Grand Prix. Ajo´s fastest time at Silverstone´s 5,9 kilometre circuit was 2.18,978 and he qualified 18th. At the British GP there are 35 Moto3 riders.
– It was a difficult day and a difficult weather. So in that sense I need to be pleased with this result even thought the time wasn´t exactly what I planned, said 17-year-old Ajo who competes with KTM´s factory bike.
Riders of Moto3 class managed to avoid the rain at the morning´s practice as well as at afternoon´s qualifying. At the free practice Ajo was able to take two seconds from his Friday´s best lap time even if the track was still partly very slippery.
– At the qualifying the track was already better when it came to the slipperiness but the unbelievably strong wind just became harder. Wind made it really difficult to ride.
The riders tried to make good times straight in the beginning of the qualifying because it was expected to rain.
– In the beginning I had a good feeling for riding but when passing by others in a big group it affected my speed a bit.
– I planned to have a good, fast lap in the end just by myself but I realized soon that it was impossible in that kind of strong wind without any slipstream. And then the track started to be so crowded, Ajo summarised the 40-minute session.
Ajo was happy with his bike and its settings.
– The bike was just all right. I will go to Sunday´s race with confident mind and I try to take a place from a good group.
The pole position of season´s sixth GP was taken by Spanish rider Maverick Vinales. He bet his countryman Efren Vazquez by 0,198 seconds. Ajo was 2,791 seconds from the pole.
Championship leader, Finnish team Ajo Motorsport´s German rider Sandro Cortese qualified fourth 0,936 seconds from Vinales.
HERTZ BRITISH GRAND PRIX
Moto3 Qualifying Practice Classification:
1. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda 2.16,187
2. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 0,198
3. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 0,856
4. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,936
5. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 1,150
6. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 1,298
7. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda + 1,352
8. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 1,686
9. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 1,717
10. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 1,721
11. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 1,903
12. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 1,964
13. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 2,051
14. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 2,235
15. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo , KTM + 2,348
18. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 2,791