Niklas Ajo had a hard time at the Indianapolis circuit when the season´s tenth Moto3 GP was held in USA. Ajo, who had a strong start with his KTM-bike was taken out from the track already at the second curve of the first lap in a big crash caused by Spanish Adrian Martini.
Also Italian Niccolo Antonelli and Dutch Jasper Iwema were involved.
18-year-old Ajo continued his race from the bottom until in the sixth lap the judges´ decision put an end to his fight.
Ajo will miss
the Brno GP
Ajo was black-flagged for unsporting behaviour after confronting Martín. He was upset after the crash and punched the Spaniard. The judges decided to give Ajo one GP punishment, which means he will not compete at Brno, Czech next weekend.
Ajo´s German team leader, TT Motion Events Racing´s Terrell Thien considered the punish-ment hard but also according to the present rules.
“At these situations one is not allowed to touch the other rider. Just few years ago riders were not punished when these things happened but now the rules are more strict.”
“We talked with the judges and watched the incident from the video several times. The result is unfortunately what it is. We will miss the Brno and concentrate on Misano”, Thien referred to the GP of San Marino held 16th of September.
The winner of the Indianapolis GP was Spanish Luis Salom who claimed the first victory of his career. He crossed the finish line only 56 thousandth of seconds before Finnish team Ajo Motorsport´s German rider Sandro Cortese.
Cortese, however, managed to extend his championship lead by 29 points since Spanish Maverick Vinales, who was fighting for the victory fell on the last turn.
RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GRAND PRIX
Moto3 Race Classification:
1. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM 42.14,300
2. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,056
3. Jonas Folger Germany, Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3, Kalex KTM + 2,940
4. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 3,067
5. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 3,664
6. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 7,663
7. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 7,697
8. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 11,203
9. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Andalucia JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 11,242
10. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 13,163
11. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo , KTM + 23,362
12. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 24,364
13. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda +25,001
14. Isaac Vinales Spain, Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 31,211
15. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda +34,179
World Championship Standing:
1. Cortese 184
2. Maverick Vinales Spain, FTR Honda 155
3. Salom 129
4. Fenati 96
5. Masbou 81
6. Khairuddin 76
7. Rins 72
8. Rossi 59
9. Kent 57
10. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, FTR Honda 55
11. Oliveira 52
12. Efren Vazquez Spain, FTR Honda 50
13. Hector Faubel Spain, Kalex KTM 44
14. Moncayo 43
15. Sissis 43
19. Niklas Ajo Finland, KTM 21
Next GP: 26th of August. Brno, Czech.