Niklas Ajo made a promising start for the historical Moto3 GP-season in Qatar. Ajo who started with his KTM factory bike from fifth place on the grid crossed the finish line of Losail circuit being 13th. The position allowed three World Championship points for 17-year-old Finn.
– Pretty good opening weekend. Especially Saturday´s qualifying confirmed that I have enough speed at this stage. We are in a good situation to head to the Jerez GP after three weeks.
The beginning of the race didn´t go as Ajo had planned.
– My start wasn´t that good and in the beginning I was also somehow a bit confused and lost some places. I would have wanted to have a warm-up session before the race, as we usually have. In Qatar warm up is held exceptionally already on previous night.
Tough fight at top group
Ajo competed in a group of many riders and was at hs best ninth. In the midway of the 18 laps race he lost few places.
– The fastest group run away from the mid group in which I was competing. Amongst that group the situation and placements changed all the time. I needed to be really awake and careful because I felt that in this group there were few sloppy riders who didn´t seem to know how to ride in a group where riders are so close to each other.
– In the beginning of the race I was perhaps a bit too careful. After that it was just pure fighting and in the end I just tried to confirm my position. Moncayo (Alberto) tried really hard to pass me by still at the finish line but I managed to keep him behind me with 43 thousandth of seconds, Ajo said.
Spanish Maverick Vinales crossed the finish line easily first with his FTR Honda. For Vinales the victory was third in a row since he won the two last GP´s of the last year´s 125cc class. Vinales bet Italian rookie rider Romano Fenati with a similar bike by 4,301 seconds. Finnish Ajo Motorsport team´s German KTM-rider Sandro Cortese who started from the pole was third 18,013 seconds behind Vinlaes.
The next GP of the season is held 29th of April at Jerez circuit in Spain.
COMMERCIALBANK GRAND PRIX OF QATAR
Moto2 Race Classification:
1. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda 38.40,995
2. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 4,301
3. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 18,013
4. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 18,200
5. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 18,745
6. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-SIC-Ajo, KTM + 19,052
7. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 19,466
8. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 21,098
9. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda + 21,153
10. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 28,733
11. Alan Techer France, Technomag-CIP-TSR, TSR Honda + 29,775
12. Hector Faubel Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 29,813
13. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 35,940
14. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 35,983
15. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 38,641
Moto3 World Standing 2012
1. Vinales 25
2. Fenati 20
3. Cortese 16
4. Salom 13
5. Oliveira 11
6. Khairuddin 10
7. Sissis 9
8. Kent 8
9. Rossi 7
10. Rins 6
11. Techer 5
12. Faubel 4
13. Ajo 3
14. Moncayo 2
15. Kornfeil 1
Next GP: 29of April, Jerez, Spain.