Avant Tecno KTM rider takes tenth fastest time in a session marked by wind, sand and rain in Losail.
Eighth fastest yesterday, Niklas Ajo intended to go even better in the third free practice session of the weekend. However, weather conditions that included gusts of wind reaching 30km/h, and a track covered with sand, made things more difficult. Despite this, the Avant Tecno KTM rider stopped the clock in 2’10.212 —tenth quickest of the night.
Although he was unable to improve on his time from night 1 —only two Moto3 riders were able to do so— the young Finn was amongst the top five during the first part of the session. Work did not stop, despite light rainfall on the Qatari track, and Niklas Ajo took his best time on the penultimate of his 13 laps.
Tomorrow is qualifying night. The Avant Tecno KTM rider placed on the second row of the grid last year —with a fifth place start that was his joint best in the World Championship, along with at Assen.
1. Luis Salom (KTM) 2:08.167
2. Alex Rins (KTM) 2:08.609 +0.442
3. Jonas Folger (Kalex-KTM) 2:08.656 +0.489
4. Jack Miller (FTR-Honda) 2:09.083 +0.916
5. Efren Vazquez (Mahindra) 2:09.260 +1.093
10. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) 2:10.212 +2.045
Results (Combined practice time FP1-FP2-FP3)
1. Luis Salom (KTM) 2:07.341
2. Jonas Folger (Kalex-KTM) 2:07.633 +0.292
3. Alex Rins (KTM) 2:07.968 +0.627
4. Alex Marquez (KTM) 2:08.351 +1.010
5. Niccolo Antonelli (FTR-Honda) 2:08.543 +1.202
8. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) 2:08.581 +1.240
Niklas Ajo >> Audio // Audio (Finnish)
”Today’s practice wasn’t all bad. The weather conditions didn’t help, because there was a lot of sand on the track and no grip. With the amount of dust covering the asphalt, you could pick out the lines used by other riders. It’s better to forget about today and focus on yesterday’s results, so tomorrow we will continue in that way.”
* Audio solely for radio use