Niklas Ajo´s well started race harmfully ended up to crash at the season´s second GP of
Moto3 class held in Jerez, Spain.
Ajo started with his KTM factory bike from 27th place of the grid and managed to move to the 19th place when his race came to an end on third lap.
– I hit a wet spot on the track and the rear end swang out from under me. I did my best and kept holding the handlebar until I hit the sand and fell. I still tried to continue but I didn´t manage to do that, displeased Ajo said.
The eventful race of 23 laps was announced to be a dry one even if the track was partly wet after rain. Racing with slicks-tyres meant quite a battle in difficult circumstances. Only half of the 34 riders managed to reach the finish line.
– At least I thought that the weather was awful. Despite the fact that I managed to improve my position in the beginning I rode really carefully and my only aim was to get to the finish. It really wasn´t an easy weekend, Ajo sighs.
The winner of the Moto3 class was Italian Romano Fenati who crossed the finish line overwhelmingly 36 seconds before Spanish Luis Salom who finished second. Rookie rider Fenati now leads the championship series after winning in Jerez and being second in Qatar. Ajo is 19th.
GRAN PREMIO bwin DE ESPAÑA
Moto3 Race Classification 2012
1. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda 43.50,885
2. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 36,139
3. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 36,895
4. Alex Rins Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 37,061
5. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 49,036
6. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda + 55,857
7. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 57,505
8. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 1.03,683
9. Hector Faubel Spain, Bankia Aspar Team, Kalex KTM + 1.15,351
10. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 1.35,650
11. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 1 kierros
12. Alex Marquez Spain, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 1 kierros
13. Ivan Moreno Spain, Andalucia JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1 kierros
14. Alan Techer France, Technomag-CIP-TSR, TSR Honda + 1 kierros
15. Giulian Pedone Switzerland, Ambrogio Next Racing, Oral + 1 kierros
16. Marcel Schrotter Germany, Mahindra Racing, Mahindra + 1 kierros
17. Jasper Iwema Netherlands, Moto FGR, FGR Honda + 1 kierros
Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM.
Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM.
Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM.
17 riders did not classified.
World championship standing:
1. Fenati 45
2. Vinales 35
3. Salom 33
4. Cortese 32
5. Rins 19
6. Khairuddin 11
11. Sissis 9
12. Kent 8
19. Ajo 3
Next GP: 6.5. Estoril, Portugal.