Niklas Ajo will start from eight row on Sunday when season´s final Moto3 GP is held in Valencia. Ajo´s best time with his KTM bike in the dry qualifying session was 1.43,011, which gave him 22nd place on the grid.
“For sure it wasn´t a perfect performance but I have made it to the points from that kind of starting place before”, says Ajo, who is known of good starts, “Let´s just hope it will be dry weather also on Sunday so I can ride according to my plans.”
All the three Moto3 free practice sessions were still ridden with wet tyres.
“In that sense the qualifying was really difficult. We had to work hard to find proper settings for dry conditions.”
Ajo wasn´t happy with
bike´s front part
Work with the settings didn’t bring the result as 18-year-old Finn had hoped.
“The main problem was with the front part of the bike. The feeling wasn´t the best possible one when I went to the curves. For my riding style those settings didn´t fit. Also the gear box was perhaps a bit too short but it wasn´t that big problem as was the front part.”
The GP of Valencia might be bothered by the unsteady weather circumstances, which have been seen regularly during the season.
“We can´t do anything but hope for dry weather for the race day and especially for the warm up so we manage to test the new settings.”
The four kilometres long Ricardo Tormo circuit is the most familiar one to Ajo thanks to his time at Spanish CEV-series. However, the circuit has a new tarmac surface now.
“The track is not that bumpy as before but also the grip is now different. I can´t go to the curves as I used to go. So in that sense this circuit is completely new.”
The pole position was taken by German Jonas Folger with a time of 1.41,263. The pole position was second of his career.
Folger bet Portuguese Miquel Oliveira by 53 thousandth of seconds. Spanish Luis Salom who was 0,178 seconds from the pole will join the front row.
Moto3 world champion Finnish team Ajo Motorsport´s German rider Sandro Cortese qualified fourth 0,243 seconds from Folger. Ajo was 1,748 seconds from pole.
GP GENERALI DE LA COMUNITAT VALENCIANA
Moto3 Qualifying Practice Classification:
1. Jonas Folger Germany, Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3, Kalex KTM 1.41,263
2. Miguel Oliveira Portugal, Estrella Galicia 0,0, Suter Honda + 0,053
3. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 0,178
4. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,243
5. Maverick Vinales Spain, Blusens Avintia, FTR Honda + 0,511
6. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK t-shirt Laglisse, FTR Honda + 0,565
7. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 0,689
8. Niccolo Antonelli Italy, San Carlo Gresini Moto3, FTR Honda + 0,782
9. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda + 0,815
10. Alessandro Tonucci Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 0,931
11. Romano Fenati Italy, Team Italia FMI, FTR Honda + 0,978
12. Alex Marquez Spain, Ambrogio Next Racing, Suter Honda + 1,117
13. Adrian Martin Spain, JHK t-shirt Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1,198
14. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 1,213
15. Brad Binder South Africa, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 1,234
17. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 1,435
19. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 1,541
22. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 1,748