Niklas Ajo made himself good race circumstances for Sunday when the season´s eight GP is held in Germany. Ajo´s fastest lap at wet Sachsenring circuit was 1.45,150, which allowed him 11th place from the fourth row.
“The weather was pretty terrible. Heavy rain started more than an hour before the qualifying and then we got even more rain later on. At Sachsenring circuit there is lot of altitude differences and partly the water was just running there.”
Spark plug ruined
the fastest lap
In the half way of the demanding qualifying Ajo made his way to the top ten and better was still to come.
“I made my best times for the first two sectors but then I had to go to the paddock in the middle of my fastest lap. Obviously there was water in the spark plug and that was the end of my qualifying even if there was still 10 minutes left.”
Technical setback didn´t ruin the whole thing. Ajo was pleased with his KTM bike and his own riding.
“The feeling in the qualifying was pretty good and already at the morning´s free practice which was held on dry track I was 11th fastest. What ever the weather will be tomorrow I head to the race with confidence.”
Last Saturday Ajo reached his best position of the season when he crossed the finish line of Assen circuit in Netherlands being eight.
“We aim to head to the German GP the same way as we did to Assen, which means that I focus on a good start and try not to crash. But then again we shouldn´t think that much of Assen anymore because every race is of its own kind”, Ajo reminded.
The fastest rider of the qualifying was overwhelmingly championship second Ajo Motorsports Sandro Cortese who made his best time of 1.42,989 in front of his home crowd. Cortese´s teammate Danny Kent, who qualified second, was 1,485 seconds from the pole.
Cortese, who took his fourth pole position of the season and Kent, had same positions also at the qualifying in Assen.
Maverick Vinales, who leads the championship by seven points over Cortese, had to settle for 24th place, 3,613 seconds from the pole. Ajo was 1,5 seconds faster than Vinales.
eni MOTORRAD GRAND PRIX DEUTSCHLAND
MotoGP Qualifying Practice Classification:
1. Sandro Cortese Germany, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM 1.42,989
2. Danny Kent Great Britain, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 1,485
3. Adrian Martin Spain, JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 1,500
4. Jack Miller Australia, Caretta Technology, Honda + 1,543
5. Jakub Kornfeil Czech, Redox-Ongetta-Centro Seta, FTR Honda + 1,596
6. Brad Binder South Africa, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 1,746
7. Louis Rossi France, Racing Team Germany, FTR Honda + 1,826
8. Jonas Folger Germany, IodaRacing Project, Ioda + 1,904
9. Luis Salom Spain, RW Racing GP, Kalex KTM + 1,935
10. Alexis Masbou France, Caretta Technology, Honda + 1,996
11. Niklas Ajo Finland, TT Motion Events Racing, KTM + 2,161
12. Hector Faubel Spain, Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3, Kalex KTM + 2,383
13. Alberto Moncayo Spain, Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3, Kalex KTM + 2,384
14. Efren Vazquez Spain, JHK Laglisse, FTR Honda + 2,433
15. Toni Finstenbusch Germany, Cresto Guide MZ Racing, Honda + 2,508
20. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Malaysia, AirAsia-Sic-Ajo, KTM + 2,950
21. Arthur Sissis Australia, Red Bull KTM Ajo, KTM + 3,013