Niklas Ajo suffered bad luck at round six of the Moto3 World Championship at the Circuit de Catalunya. The Avant Tecno KTM rider crashed out after being hit by another rider towards the end of the opening lap, unable to keep upright.
Starting from 23rd on the grid, the Finn cut his way through the field despite heavy traffic. He moved up seven places on the first corners of the race. However, when he was up into the points, on that same lap, a series of collisions between various riders left Niklas out of the race on Turn 10.
After this second Spanish round of the series and six races into the season, he now has 26 points and lies 13th in the overall standings.
1. Luis Salom (KTM) 41:15.331
2. Alex Rins (KTM) +0.211
3. Maverick Viñales (KTM) +0.634
4. Alex Marquez (KTM) +3.993
5. Efren Vazquez (Mahindra) +6.243
DNF – Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM)
Moto3 World Championship
1. Luis Salom (KTM) 127 points
2. Maverick Viñales (KTM) 122 points
3. Alex Rins (KTM) 101 points
4. Jonas Folger (Kalex KTM) 63 points
5. Alex Marquez (KTM) 48 points
13. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) 26 points
Niklas Ajo >> Audio (English) // Audio (Finnish)
”It was a very bad end to the weekend. I was hit from behind and I could do nothing to prevent the crash. I had a good first lap, was near tenth position, but I was hit and fell. It was a weekend that is not worth remembering. We have to look ahead to the next races at Sachsenring and Assen and try to be strong there.”
*Audio solely for radio use